Access to Work

Access to Work is a Government funding scheme to help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability.

The scheme provides funding to pay for the cost of special equipment, adaptations or extra support you may need to help you in the workplace.

There isn’t a set limit for an Access to Work grant, it depends on what is recommended in the workplace needs assessment.

Access to Work could give you a grant to help to pay for things like:

  • a support worker or job coach
  • adaptations to the equipment you use
  • specialised equipment and software
  • provide assistive technology solutions
  • provide additional training (e.g. coping strategies)
  • awareness training for your colleagues

A workplace can include your home if you work from home for some or all of your time.

It doesn’t matter how much you earn and it will not affect any other benefits you may get, and you do not have to pay it back.

Access to Work grants are available if you are over 16 and your employer is based in England, Scotland or Wales. There is a different scheme in Northern Ireland.

You must be in a paid job, about to start a job, or be self-employed. You can be part time or full time work. It does not matter how much you earn.

Paid work also includes apprenticeships, work trials, work experience and placements, and internships.

Access to Work will not provide a grant if you are a civil servant. Your employer will arrange the support you need.

You must have a disability, illness, or health condition that means you need support to do your job. This might include:

  • learning differences like ADHD or dyslexia
  • a mental health condition, for example anxiety or depression
  • a developmental condition like autism spectrum disorder
  • a physical disability, for example if you are hard of hearing or use a wheelchair

Access to Work helpline:

Telephone: 0800 121 7479
Textphone: 0800 121 7579
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 7479
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer – find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You can apply for Access to Work online or by phone.

You will need to give the following information:

  • your contact details
  • your workplace address and postcode
  • the name of a workplace contact who can confirm you work there (they will not be contacted without your permission)
  • the email address or work phone number of your workplace contact
  • your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number (if you’re self-employed)
  • information about how your condition affects your work and what support you think you need

If you need the form in other formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD, call the Access to Work helpline.